1.16.2010

Chance Encounter

Right after my first year in college, I went to Delaware with a good friend of mine. I stayed for a week and hung out with him and some family that stays in the area. Well we went to the King of Prussia mall, which is in suburban Philly. Its a high class mall, or at least it was to me in '99. My friend was looking for something to wear to this chick's prom in a few weeks. He was smelling himself so much that he went wearing a leisure suit, and topped it off with a Versace shirt. Well while we were checking out, Teddy Pendergrass and his wife come in. And surprisingly enough, I recognized him instantly. I wasnt into soul music quite as much as i am now. Although starstruck, i did mutter, "Hello Mr. Pendergrass," before leaving. Now as I walked by I saw that he had the hottest boots on ever. Yes, his boots were "kickin," like Eddie Murphy said in Golden Child. And it was ironic that someone confined to a wheelchair would wear such flambloyant boots, but I guess thats a day in the life of the "Velvet Teddy Bear."

You definitely will be missed. The world is just a little less sexy without you. This is the dude who had women only lock-in concerts. Never to be duplicated.

so i leave you with my favorite Teddy song. Love TKO, i have been on the wrong side of this one a few times, and it seemed like no one but Teddy knew what i was going through.

No comments: